Monday, May 13, 2013

Bridget Siegel's "Domestic Affairs"

Bridget Siegel, author of Domestic Affairs: A Campaign Novel, has worked on political campaigns at the local, state, and national levels. A graduate of Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service, she is now an actor, writer, and political consultant. She lives in New York City.

Here Siegel dreamcasts an adaptation of Domestic Affairs:
I imagine every author pictures their novel making it to the big screen. Add on my lifelong dream of being an actress and you have got yourself one heck of a daydreaming author. And while my self-recording of the audiobook proved it can be performed as a one woman play, I think we can all agree that's a show better left undone. In the real world I'd get a casting director extraordinaire like Dani Super but in my oft visited dream world here's my wish list...

(I know I picked more than one for some, but I figured if I'm going to dream I might as well go all out, and well, I did narrow each category down from the 20 I started off with.)

Screenwriters - Shonda Rhimes and Aaron Sorkin. Any politico's dream screenwriters. A mix of The Newsroom and Scandal? Need I say more?


Directors - Rob Reiner, in my eyes he's what classics are made of, and Ben Affleck, because he's got a rom-com classic in him, I just know it.


Governor Landon Taylor (the politician with more charm than he -- or anyone around him -- needs) Ben Affleck. He's a little young for it but he gets the politics and I know he could rock some hot, wavy hair. Though I definitely would not be upset if we wound up with Don Cheadle or George Clooney.


Aubrey Taylor (the not so nice Southern Belle wife) -- Elizabeth Banks. Who could resist Avery Jessup with a southern accent? Or Sanaa Lathan who could definitely do a secretly mean but universally loved soon to be First Lady.

Jacob (the loyal and quippy sidekick) -- Andrew Garfield, who could definitely do the nerdy, cool thing.


Olivia (the girl who falls for the politician) -- I'm going for stars on the rise here. I just filmed a movie with Amanda Setton and Renée Felice Smith and I think either of them would be amazing in the role.


As for me, of course, I'd jump in to any of the supporting roles, for which I'd surely win an Oscar. And ... scene.

© 2013 Bridget Siegel, author of Domestic Affairs: A Campaign Novel
Learn more about the book and author at Bridget Siegel's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue