Monday, July 23, 2012

Jessica Brody's "52 Reasons to Hate My Father"

Jessica Brody's books include two novels for adults--The Fidelity Files and Love Under Cover--and the young adult novels The Karma Club and My Life Undecided.

Here she shares some insights on casting the lead in an adaptation of her new YA novel, 52 Reasons to Hate My Father:
I have to admit, I normally have a really hard time answering the question: “who do you see as the lead role if your book were turned into a film.” Because as the writer, I don’t actually picture my character that often in the writing process. I see the world through her eyes instead. I become her. So it’s hard for me to say who would play her. However, with this book, the movie rights were optioned before I even started writing it and so I kind of wrote the book imagining (and hoping!) that it would become a movie someday. Which I think helped me make the story more visual as I wrote. But I still didn’t have an actress in mind. Then, more recently, I was told that Victoria Justice (from the show Victorious on Nickelodeon) had expressed some early interest in starring in the film (although nothing official has been decided yet) and as soon I heard that, I couldn’t not picture her in the role. She would be absolutely perfect as Lexington Larrabee. She even kind of looks like the girl my publisher put on the cover! But regardless of who gets cast (or if the movie even gets made!), it’ll be fun to see someone else’s interpretation of the character.
Learn more about the book and author at Jessica Brody's website and blog.

Writers Read: Jessica Brody (October 2009).

--Marshal Zeringue