Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Elly Griffiths’s "The House at Sea’s End"

Elly Griffiths’s Ruth Galloway novels have been praised as “highly atmospheric” (New York Times Book Review), “remarkable” (Richmond Times-Dispatch), and “gripping” (Louise Penny). Now, in The House at Sea’s End, the beloved forensic archeologist returns, called in to investigate when human bones surface on a remote Norfolk beach.

Here Griffiths shares some ideas about casting a cinematic adaptation of the novel:
In The House at Sea’s End six bodies are found buried at the foot of a cliff in a remote Norfolk village. Dr Ruth Galloway is called in to investigate and is once more in contact with DCI Harry Nelson, the father of her child. The bodies date from the Second World War but someone is still alive who would kill to protect their secret.

People have said that Ruth is an unusual heroine – she’s overweight, untidy and rather shy. I’d hate her to be played by a skinny glamour model but I can’t think of anyone who’d be quite right. I’d love to see Michael Fassbender as Nelson (well, I can dream, can’t I?). He has Irish roots, just like Nelson, and he did gritty Northern hero beautifully in Jane Eyre. I can see David Tennant or Russell Brand as Cathbad, Ruth’s druid friend. I’m sure there are many actors who could do justice to beautiful Shona, oafish Clough and clever Judy. Maybe I’ll just have to play Ruth myself....
Learn more about the book and author at Elly Griffiths's website.

The Ruth Galloway novels include The Crossing Places and The Janus Stone.

The Page 69 Test: The Crossing Places.

--Marshal Zeringue