Saturday, January 15, 2011

Matthew Gallaway's "The Metropolis Case"

Matthew Gallaway is a writer originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He now lives in New York City.

If his acclaimed debut novel The Metropolis Case were made into a movie, here's who he would like to direct and act in it:
In terms of living directors, my dream pick would be Pedro Almodóvar, because his films are filled with the kind of music, color, memory, and magical coincidence that I tried to infuse into The Metropolis Case. I also love Almodóvar's female leads, who as a rule are strong and beautiful in ways that are both conventional and not, and I would completely trust his judgment in terms of casting the female characters in my book. If I could go back in time, I would pick Luchino Visconti, whose best films also have a lush, dream-like quality that I would love to see in any visual adaptation of the novel. I also love Helmut Berger and Romy Schneider, both of whom appear in several Visconti films and act in ways I find to be beautiful and uncertain at the same time, which I think are traits that would be ideal for my characters, who tend to be searching for answers to "big questions" in life. Finally because I just saw her in an amazing John Cassavetes movie called Opening Night, I'll mention Gena Rowlands, whose combination of high-level glamor and tragedy would (again, in my fantasy world, going back in time) be perfect for either of the female opera singers or "divas" in my novel.
Read an excerpt from The Metropolis Case, and learn more about the book and author at Matthew Gallaway's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Metropolis Case.

--Marshal Zeringue